Female* Support Worker | Ware, Hertfordshire | Full Time Position
£13.00 – £15.00 per hour dependent on the shift worked and your experience
Embrace HR are working on behalf of their client to find an enthusiastic and committed Support Worker to join a small care team, who can be flexible in their availability of shifts worked.
Our client is a young adult with cerebral palsy resulting in a need for care and support for everyday activities. She lives at home with her family and requires support with her personal care, food preparation and feeding, as well as the preparation and administering of medication.
You will work flexibly to support her and her family to manage aspects of her daily life, both at home and in the community, to enhance her quality of life, and at all times to ensure her physical, psychological and social well-being.
Caregivers are also asked to support our client in accessing the community around her so she can live a fulfilled and varied life including attending local day activities such as gardening, music and art clubs, going to festivals, concerts and to the theatre, socialising with family and friends, taking her dog for a walk, shopping and attending social events such as the cinema or the pub as well as attending hospital and physio appointments.
You will be expected to work flexible day shifts, evening and weekends. At present, there is no need for night care every night during the week, although there may be a need to provide support overnight when accompanying our client on holiday, at weekends and when either parent is away from home. The need for night care is reviewed on a regular basis and caregivers are expected to be available for night shifts when required.
You will learn how our client communicates via her symbol book, eye gaze technology and eye pointing. You will build a good rapport at an age-appropriate level with her to build a meaningful, close and positive working relationship built on trust and respect that ultimately leads to a two-way friendship.
Are you the right person for us?
- Preferred experience in care and support of people with a disability however training will be provided for the right person
- Computer literate and able to be contactable by email
- Experience working in the community
- Excellent communication skills
- A great sense of humour
- Flexibility in approach to care
- Ability to act on own initiative
- Ability to maintain clear concise written records
- Clean driving licence
Your role will include, but not be limited to
- Assist our client in all her day-to-day tasks including helping with her personal care
- Assist in the bathroom by administering suppositories to aid toileting, cleaning and
applying ointment to her coccyx to maintain the integrity of her skin and changing
- The giving of milk feeds, fluids and the preparing of and the administering of medication throughout the day via her Mic-Key button and the maintenance of her Mic-Key button site plus the occasional use of her suction machine if required
- Via a ceiling or manual hoist you will manoeuvre her in and out of her wheelchair whenever required
- Support our client in accessing the community around her so she can live a fulfilled and varied life including attending local day activities such as gardening, music and art clubs, going to festivals, concerts and to the theatre, socialising with family and friends, taking her dog for a walk, shopping and attending social events such as the cinema or the pub as well as attending hospital and physio appointments
- Assist her where necessary when she is communicating with people who are unknown to her and who are not experienced with AAC
- Fulfil domestic duties as required
- You will be asked to drive or share driving, depending on a clean driving licence and age
Schedule and shifts available:
09:00 – 16:00 Monday to Friday
10:00 – 16:00 Saturdays
12 noon – 20:00 Sundays
16:00 – 20:00 Weekdays
16:00 – midnight Friday/Saturday
This is a village location without direct public transport links. Car driver essential.
Satisfactory references and proof of eligibility to work in the UK will also be required.
This position requires a disclosure request from the DBS (Adult Workforce). A conviction will not necessarily prevent you from being employed.
*The Employer claims exemption under the Equality Act 2010
If you are ready to start your career with our client, then CLICK HERE TO APPLY, quoting Job Ref SYP